HomeIndia1.6 Million People Worldwide Fall Ill Daily Due To Eating Contaminated Food 

1.6 Million People Worldwide Fall Ill Daily Due To Eating Contaminated Food 

Delhi/Hyderabad, June 9 (Maxim News): A 1.6 million people, including 40 percent of children under 5, worldwide fall ill due to the consumption of unsafe food, said Saima Wazed, WHO Regional Director, ahead of World Food Safety Day.

Click Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

World Food Safety Day, marked annually on June 7, was established by the UN General Assembly in 2018 to draw attention and inspire action to help prevent, detect, and respond to public health threats associated with unsafe food.  The theme this year is ‘Prepare for the unexpected.”

Every day, approximately 1.6 million people worldwide fall ill due to the consumption of unsafe food, said Saima, WHO Regional Director for South East Asia.

Click Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

Of these 40 percent are children under 5 already at a higher risk of malnutrition and mortality due to unsafe food, she added. 

Saima said that unsafe food leads to reduced productivity and raises medical costs resulting from foodborne illnesses that amount to an estimated annual loss of $110 billion, in low-and middle-income countries.

Click Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

The Regional Director noted that the Southeast Asia Region bears the second-highest health burden, after Africa, due to the consumption of contaminated food.  The region experiences an estimated 150 million illnesses and 175,000 every year. 

Tropical climate, which promotes the spread of pests and advances the formation of naturally occurring toxins, coupled with the impacts of climate change are the reasons behind food contamination.

Click Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

Food safety is a collective responsibility and governments, producers, and consumers need to play their role in ensuring food safety, Saima said

She called on governments to develop and regularly test the effectiveness of national food safety emergency response plans.  The Regional Director said that producers or food business operators are responsible for implementing and updating food safety management plans.

Click Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

She also called on consumers to empower themselves by practicing safe food handling at home and reporting a food safety incident.  (Maxim News)  


Next Story :

  • Senior Actress Shavukaru Janaki Passed Away

    Senior Actress Shavukaru Janaki Passed Away

    Chennai/Hyderabad, Aug 21 (Maxim News): A tragedy has struck the Telugu film industry. Veteran actress Shawukaru Janaki has passed away. She died on Friday due to old age-related health problems. Shawukaru Janaki had been seriously ill recently. Family members rushed her to Kauvery Hospital in Chennai. She breathed her last at the age of 94…


  • One Year Of Practice For Judicial Service: SC Key Decision

    One Year Of Practice For Judicial Service: SC Key Decision

    Delhi/Hyderabad, Aug 21 (Maxim News) : The Supreme Court has good news for law students who want to enter the judicial services directly. It has reduced the three-year legal practice requirement to one year for candidates applying for the posts of Civil Judge (Junior Division). While it did not completely reject the plea to remove…


  • Special Parliament Session On Delimitation?

    Special Parliament Session On Delimitation?

    Internet/Hyderabad, Aug 21 (Maxim News) There is currently a lot of excitement about what the Center will do regarding the Women’s Reservation and Delimitation Bill. Although there were initial expectations that the bill would be introduced in this monsoon session, the delimitation issue seemed to be shelved due to the controversial paper leak. However, there…


  • Leave Before You Are Expelled: Congress Leaders Are Angry With Konda Surekha

    Leave Before You Are Expelled: Congress Leaders Are Angry With Konda Surekha

    Hyderabad, Aug 21 (Maxim News): The comments made by Minister Konda Surekha’s daughter Sushmita against Chief Minister Revanth Reddy are causing a huge stir. It is known that Minister Konda Surekha had given an explanation to the disciplinary committee that she should not be held responsible for Sushmita’s comments, as they were completely her own…


Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook pageTwitter and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
germanten flyer 3
previous arrow
next arrow

Most Popular

Recent Comments