Hyderabad: BRS Legislative Party deputy leader T Harish Rao on Saturday accused the Congress government of pushing a real estate driven agenda in the name of the Musi Riverfront Project. He demanded immediate withdrawal of eviction notices issued to residents of Madhu Park Ridge apartments and nearby areas.
Harish Rao, along with former Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy, MLAs G Sudheer Reddy and Madhavaram Krishna Rao, visited families facing displacement. Other BRS leaders also joined the visit. The party reached out to residents on the directions of party chief and former Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao. They assured families that the BRS would stand with them.
Speaking to residents, Harish Rao alleged that the government was trying to demolish homes of middle class families without due process. He said the project aimed to clear land for corporate interests. “This is not Musi beautification. It is real estate exploitation to benefit corporate companies,” he said.
He further alleged that behind every decision of Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy there were land dealings and commercial interests. He referred to controversies linked to land parcels involving Hyderabad Central University, HILT policy, Future City and other projects. According to him, these reflected a pattern of land driven decisions.
Harish Rao questioned the legal basis of the eviction notices. He said there was no Detailed Project Report, no fixation of Full Tank Level, no environmental clearance, and no social impact assessment. He also questioned the legality of authorities threatening residents with demolition if they failed to vacate.
At the same time, he clarified that the BRS was not opposed to cleaning the Musi river. However, he objected to demolition of houses and displacement of families in the name of development. “Develop vacant lands if required, but do not destroy the dreams of middle-class families,” he said. He added that many residents had taken bank loans and invested lifelong savings in these apartments.
Recalling the previous BRS government, Harish Rao said sewage treatment plants worth Rs 3,800 crore were taken up. He also said DPRs were prepared to bring Godavari River water from Kaleshwaram to rejuvenate the river without displacing families.
He also questioned the State’s financial priorities. He said the government cited lack of funds for fee reimbursement, retirement benefits, social security pensions and Rythu Bharosa assistance. However, he alleged it was spending heavily on a new Rs 100 crore camp office in Jubilee Hills and events like Miss World and a football match with Lionel Messi. “The contractors’ bills amounting to Rs 20,000 crore had been cleared even as welfare payments were delayed, for commissions,” he remarked.
Responding to emotional appeals from residents, Harish Rao assured them that the BRS would raise the issue in the upcoming Budget session of the Assembly. He also said the party would pursue a legal battle if required.
Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe. Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook page, Twitter, and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates and Follow us on GoogleNews
