Hyderabad, May 20 (Maxim News): Senior Congress leader and government adviser V. Hanumantha Rao welcomed the recent Supreme Court verdict on caste census and described it as a historic judgment.
Speaking to the media at Gandhi Bhavan on Wednesday, Hanumantha Rao thanked the judiciary for delivering what he called a landmark decision in favour of backward communities.
He said the judgment would benefit nearly 60 crore people across the country and expressed gratitude to Justice Surya Kant for the verdict.
Hanumantha Rao stated that Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had strongly advocated for a caste census across the country. He also recalled that the Telangana Government led by A. Revanth Reddy had already conducted a caste survey in the state.
He alleged that the BJP led Central Government was not interested in the upliftment of backward classes and claimed that the Modi government did not want BC communities to progress politically and socially.
Supreme Court Calls Caste Census A Policy Matter
The remarks came after the Supreme Court dismissed a petition seeking directions to exclude caste based enumeration from the national census process.
The Chief Justice of India bench observed that deciding whether caste data should be included in the census is a policy decision of the government.
The bench also remarked that governments have the right to know the actual population of backward classes to frame welfare measures and public policies effectively.
Hanumantha Rao said the verdict strengthened the demand for caste based data collection and social justice measures across the country.
Reacting to Prime Minister Narendra Modi appealing for austerity and savings amid global economic uncertainty, Hanumantha Rao said people did not require lessons from the Prime Minister on financial discipline.
He said social reformer Jyotirao Phule had taught principles of equality and social awareness long ago.
The Congress leader also criticised the Centre over repeated fuel price hikes and alleged that demonetisation had caused severe hardship to people across the country, forcing many onto the roads. (Maxim News)
Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe. Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook page, Twitter, and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates and Follow us on GoogleNews
More Stories…
Centre Gives In Principle Approval To Hyderabad Metro Phase 2
The Centre gave in principle approval for Hyderabad Metro Phase 2 after a meeting between Kishan Reddy and Manohar Lal Khattar.



