Allahabad HC Quashes Case Against Two Students Over Praying At Restricted Site

  • High Court sets aside FIR over namaz at restricted site
  • Justice Saurabh Srivastava cites no criminal history

Hyderabad: The Allahabad High Court has quashed criminal proceedings against two students accused of offering namaz at a place barred by the local administration. The court set aside the case, citing lack of criminal history and the impact on their future.

Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

A single judge bench of Justice Saurabh Srivastava quashed the proceedings arising out of an First Information Report lodged under sections 143 and 188 of the IPC. Section 143 relates to member of unlawful assembly, while Section 188 concerns orders duly promulgated by government officials. The court observed that the implication of the applicants “who had no criminal history” was not justified.

Earlier, a court in Sant Kabir Nagar had taken cognisance of the alleged offences. It had issued a summoning order against the two students in May 2019. However, the applicants challenged the proceedings before the High Court.

Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

Counsel for the applicants submitted that the two were merely students with no prior criminal record. They argued that the students had been implicated solely for intending to perform namaz in accordance with their faith. It was also argued that one of them was preparing for a competitive exam. Therefore, continuation of trial in such a “petty offence” could adversely affect his future.

Meanwhile, opposing the plea, the additional government advocate acknowledged the absence of criminal history. However, the state contended that certain locations had been notified as prohibited for offering namaz to maintain law and order. The state submitted that the applicants knowingly insisted on reading namaz at the restricted site. It said they violated administrative instructions meant to preserve peace and harmony.

Here To Join Us On WhatsApp

The court observed that in a democratic and secular country, citizens of every faith are guaranteed the right to follow their beliefs and rituals. However, it underlined that in a socially diverse society, directions issued by the local administration must be followed in the larger interest of communal harmony and law and order.

In its order dated February 17, the bench quashed the proceedings only in respect of the two applicants. At the same time, it warned them to strictly follow any instructions or specific restraints issued by the local administration.


Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook pageTwitter, and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates and Follow us on GoogleNews


More Stories…

  • TG-RERA Slaps 43.71 Lakh Penalty On Realtor Over Manikonda Project

    Hyderabad, Feb 21 (Maxim News): The Telangana Real Estate Regulatory Authority (TG-RERA) has stepped up enforcement against real estate developers for violations of the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016, taking strict action to protect homebuyers and ensure compliance across ongoing projects.

  • Naxalism Will End In The Country By March 31: Amit Shah

    Guwahati/Hyderabad, Feb 21 (Maxim News): Union Home Minister Amit Shah said that Naxalism will be eradicated from the country by March 31. He participated in the 87th CRPF Day Parade. He said that CRPF forces played a key role in Jammu and Kashmir. He said that stone pelting incidents there have come down to zero.…

  • Nothing Will Change With The Supreme Court Verdict: India Will Have To Pay Tariffs: Trump’s Comment

    Washington/internet/Hyderabad, Feb 21 (Maxim News): Despite the sensational ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States that the tariffs imposed by the US President on countries around the world are invalid, Donald Trump has not relented. He has again imposed 10 percent tariffs on countries around the world. He said that this decision will…

  • AI Summit Protest : Patiala Court Rejects Bail Of Accused

    Delhi/Hyderabad, Feb 21 (Maxim News): It is known that a conference on artificial intelligence is being held at Bharat Mandapam in Delhi. On Friday, Congress workers staged a protest (AI Summit Protest Case) at the conference. They took off their clothes and started agitating. They demanded that the trade deal with America be canceled. However,…

  • FSL: Difficult To Recover Data From Those Files: Special Team Concluded

    Hyderabad, Feb 21 (Maxim News): A key development has taken place in the case related to the recent major fire incident at the Forensic Science Lab (FSL) in Nampally, Hyderabad. A special team from Nagpur has found that a total of 1,100 files were burnt in the fire incident. The team tried hard to recover…

  • India, Brazil Set $20 Billion Trade Target Over Five Years

    Delhi/Hyderabad, Feb 21 (Maxim News): India and Brazil on Saturday set a bilateral trade target of more than USD 20 billion in the next five years, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held wide-ranging talks with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, focussing in the areas of critical minerals and security.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.