Hyderabad, April 20 (Maxim News) : The Supreme Court on Saturday dismissed a Public Interest Litigation seeking an official declaration that India gained independence because of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and the Indian National Army (INA).
The court also strongly warned the petitioner against filing similar petitions again. It said such repeated and baseless pleas would not be tolerated in the future.
The PIL was filed by Pinakpani Mohanty. He requested the court to declare that Netaji-led INA played the key role in India’s freedom struggle. He also sought recognition of Netaji as the “National Son.”
Further, the petitioner asked for October 21, the INA foundation day, and January 23, Netaji’s birth anniversary, to be declared national observance days.
Supreme Court Rejects Netaji INA PIL
A bench headed by Chief Justice Surya Kant heard the matter. During the hearing, the bench noted that the same petitioner had earlier filed a similar plea.
The court reminded him that such matters fall under government policy decisions and not judicial review. Therefore, courts cannot decide symbolic or policy based recognitions of this nature.
The bench also observed that clear directions had already been given in the earlier case. Even then, the petitioner returned with the same issue.
As a result, the court expressed strong displeasure. Judges remarked that the repeated filing appeared aimed only at publicity.
Chief Justice Surya Kant then warned the petitioner to leave the courtroom or face heavy costs. The bench further directed the Supreme Court Registry not to entertain similar petitions from the same petitioner in future.
Legal experts said the order reinforces the principle that courts cannot replace the executive in policy matters. Symbolic recognitions, commemorative days, and official declarations remain decisions for the government.
The ruling has now drawn attention because of the historic significance of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and the INA in India’s freedom movement. (Maxim News)



