HomeIndiaGurgaon: Gurdwaras offer space for namaz

Gurgaon: Gurdwaras offer space for namaz

DAYS AFTER the administration in Gurgaon cited “objections from local residents and RWAs” and withdrew permission for Friday prayers by the Muslim community at eight of the 37 sites agreed upon earlier, a committee overseeing five gurdwaras in this Haryana district bordering Delhi has offered their premises for the namaz.

President of the Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha, Sabzi Mandi, Gurgaon, said: “A gurdwara is the house of the Guru. People from all communities are welcome to come here and pray. If the Muslim community is facing problems in praying at designated sites, they can offer prayers in the gurdwaras. The doors of gurdwaras are open to all.”

The five gurdwaras in Gurgaon under the committee’s administration are located in Sadar Bazar, Sector 39, Sector 46, Model Town and Jacobpura.

“We are celebrating the birth anniversary of our first Guru (Guru Nanak Dev) on Friday. These gurdwaras can accommodate over 2,000 people, but we have proposed that people pray in small batches of 30-40 and maintain social distancing on account of Covid,” said Sidhu, adding that official permission will be taken if required.

Describing the offer as “gracious”, Mufti Mohammad Saleem, president of the Jamiat Ulama in Gurgaon, said they met representatives of the gurdwaras Wednesday, and decided to offer namaz at Sector 39 and Sadar Bazar this Friday. “This is a very welcome step and will go a long way in promoting harmony among communities,” said Saleem.

On Tuesday, a 40-year-old shopowner in Gurgaon’s Sector 12, Akshay Yadav, had offered his vacant premises for namaz. Yadav had told The Indian Express that 15 people had offered namaz at his shop last Friday.

Gurgaon: Gurdwaras offer space for namaz
Gurgaon: Gurdwaras offer space for namaz

Namaz at Gurudwara; A pure Secularism

In a statement, Altaf Ahmad, co-founder of Gurgaon Muslim Council, said that the community appreciated these offers. “This is a true example of brotherhood where people from multiple faiths have come forward to defeat divisive forces, who have been spreading hatred and communal disharmony in Gurgaon over the last two months,” he said.

On November 2, the district administration had said that the decision to identify or designate a spot for namaz will only be taken after obtaining consent from local residents and ensuring that there is no opposition in the area.

In recent months, some local residents and pro-Hindutva groups have disrupted Friday prayers in some public places in Gurgaon.

Last Friday, a group affiliated with Sanyukta Hindu Sangharsh Samiti had camped at a previously agreed upon site in Sector 12 A, claiming to make a volleyball court there. Another group had occupied a park in Sarhaul, forcing members of Muslim community to offer prayers elsewhere.

Ahmad said the government should take cognizance and allocate land “at the earliest” for mosques to be built. “It is a sad state of affairs when a handful of people do not understand that Muslims are forced to offer their obligatory Juma Namaz in the open due to a lack of enough mosques in Gurgaon,” he said.

Sherdil Singh Sidhu said: “A few people are trying to spread hatred for their political agendas. All the communities — Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Christians — made sacrifices during the freedom struggle. There should be no objection to people offering prayers.”


  • Hyderabad Land Prices: Raidurg Plot Sets Rs. 264 Crore Record

    Hyderabad Land Prices: Raidurg Plot Sets Rs. 264 Crore Record

    Hyderabad, August 21: Hyderabad land prices have reached a new high after an acre in Raidurg sold for ₹264 crore. The Telangana Industrial Infrastructure Corporation conducted the latest auction in the city’s IT corridor. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp The record sale took place at Pan Maktha in Raidurg. The plot falls under Survey…


    Now you can get latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday Facebook page and Twitter and on Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

  • Kareena Kapoor Khan Not Pregnant, Team Confirms

    Kareena Kapoor Khan Not Pregnant, Team Confirms

    Hyderabad: Kareena Kapoor Khan is not pregnant, her team has confirmed, putting an end to recent speculation about her expecting a third child with actor Saif Ali Khan. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp Rumours began circulating online after a recent video showed Kareena returning to her car. A member of her team appeared to…


    Now you can get latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday Facebook page and Twitter and on Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

  • Rahul Gandhi Dharna: Delhi Police Registers FIR Over Pellet Injury

    Rahul Gandhi Dharna: Delhi Police Registers FIR Over Pellet Injury

    New Delhi / Hyderabad, August 21: Delhi Police registered an FIR on Friday after student protester Sahil Lochab complained of a pellet gun injury during a July 20 demonstration at Jantar Mantar. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp The development came after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi demanded action on Lochab’s complaint. Rahul Gandhi, the Leader…


    Now you can get latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday Facebook page and Twitter and on Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

  • Senior Actress Sowcar Janaki Passed Away

    Senior Actress Sowcar Janaki Passed Away

    Sowcar Janaki | A tragedy has struck Telugu film industry. Veteran actress Shawukaru Janaki has passed away. She died due to old age-related health problems


    Now you can get latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday Facebook page and Twitter and on Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

  • One Year Of Practice For Judicial Service: SC Key Decision

    One Year Of Practice For Judicial Service: SC Key Decision

    Delhi/Hyderabad, Aug 21 (Maxim News) : The Supreme Court has good news for law students who want to enter the judicial services directly. It has reduced the three-year legal practice requirement to one year for candidates applying for the posts of Civil Judge (Junior Division). While it did not completely reject the plea to remove…


    Now you can get latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday Facebook page and Twitter and on Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
germanten flyer 3
previous arrow
next arrow

Most Popular

Recent Comments