HomeIndiaUnion Cabinet approves bill to repeal three farm laws

Union Cabinet approves bill to repeal three farm laws

Five days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the decision to repeal the three contentious farm laws, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday cleared the bills to be taken up in the upcoming Parliament session to rollback the laws.

The bills, now approved by the Cabinet, will be introduced in the Winter Session of Parliament, beginning next week.

Making the announcement, Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Anurag Thakur said that the “formalities” to repeal the three laws — Farmers Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020, Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Act, 2020 and Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020 — has been completed in the first meeting of the Cabinet since Modi’s announcement last week.

“Today (Wednesday), when the Cabinet met under the able leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, we completed the formalities to repeal the laws,” Thakur said. “In the upcoming session, it will be our priority to repeal the three farm laws,” Thakur said.

However, he did not answer questions if the government will bring a law to guarantee Minimum Support Price, which has been another major demand of the protesting farmers.

The Cabinet Wednesday also approved an extension of the Prime Minister Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) scheme till March 2022.

Thakur said the cabinet has decided to extend the PMGKAY for a period of four months — December 2021 to March 2022 — under which over 80 crore people of the country are entitled to get food grains like wheat or rice free of cost every month.

“Since the beginning of the scheme in March 2020, crores of people have benefited from it,” Thakur said.

He added, “There will be an expenditure of Rs 53,344 crore for the scheme during the next four months.”

“The free food grains under the PMGKAY will be provided to beneficiaries covered under the National Food Security Act, 2013 and Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) scheme over and above their entitlements,” Thakur said.

At the time of the launch of the scheme, the government’s focus was to ensure that no family remains hungry during the Covid-19 pandemic.

“India is the only country in the world which has provided foodgrains to 80 crore people for months. Till now, 600 lakh metric tonne foodgrains have been allocated and 541 lakh metric tonne foodgrains have been distributed. It has been provided to people across all the states and Union Territories. There will be a total expenditure of Rs 2.60 lakh crore on this scheme, including for the extended period of four months,” Thakur said.


Next Story :

  • Hyderabad DCC Seeks Police Action Over SIR Fraud Fears

    Hyderabad DCC Seeks Police Action Over SIR Fraud Fears

    Hyderabad DCC seeks police action over SIR fraud fears and warns voters against sharing OTPs or bank details with suspicious callers.


  • Hyderabad Court Convicts 33 In POCSO And PITA Case

    Hyderabad Court Convicts 33 In POCSO And PITA Case

    Hyderabad court convicts 33 in POCSO PITA case, sentencing five to life imprisonment and ordering compensation for nine victims.


  • 22A Restrictions Leave Families In Distress

    22A Restrictions Leave Families In Distress

    22A restrictions have left hundreds of Telangana property owners unable to sell or register properties, prompting them to seek relief.


  • Delhi High Court Closes UGC-NET Plea After Center Announce Retest

    Delhi High Court Closes UGC-NET Plea After Center Announce Retest

    Delhi/Hyderabad, Aug 19 (Maxim News): The Centre on Wednesday informed the Delhi High Court that a retest is being conducted for three subjects, including Sociology, of the UGC-NET June 2026 examination following complaints of some errors in the questionnaires. Taking note of the submission of Solicitor General (SG) Tushar Mehta, representing the Centre, Justice Jasmeet…


  • RajendranagarCourt Issues Notices To Rayadurgam police

    RajendranagarCourt Issues Notices To Rayadurgam police

    Internet/Hyderabad, Aug 19 (Maxim News): The Rajendranagar court has issued notices to the Rayadurgam police in the wake of allegations that the accused was harassed and tortured in a POCSO case. During the remand, the lawyer showed the injuries on the accused’s body to the court. With this, the Rajendranagar court ordered the police to…


Now you can get latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday Facebook page and Twitter and on Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
germanten flyer 3
previous arrow
next arrow

Most Popular

Recent Comments