Intention Behind Bringing Electoral Bonds Scheme Was Good: Gadkari 

Ahmedabad/Hyderabad, march 23 (Maxim News): Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari said it is not possible to run a political party without funds and added the Centre had introduced the electoral bonds scheme, now struck down as unconstitutional by the Supreme court, in 2017 with a “good intention”.

The senior BJP leader said all political parties need to sit together and deliberate if the Supreme court gives any further direction on the matter. 

He made the comments at an event organised by a media house in GIFT City near Gandhinagar.  

“When Arun Jaitey was Union Finance Minister, I was part of that discussion (regarding electoral bonds), No party can survive without resources.  In some countries, governments fund political parties.  There is no such system in India.  Thus, we chose this system of financing political parties, said Gadkari on a question about electoral bonds. 

He noted the main intention behind introducing electoral bonds was that political parties get funds directly, but the names of (of donors)  are not disclosed because “problems arise if the party in power changes”. 

The Road Transport and Highways minister said just like a media house needs a sponsor to finance an event, political parties also require funds to run their affairs. 

“You need to see the ground reality.  How are parties supposed to fight elections?  We brought this system of electoral bonds to bring transparency.  so, our intention was good when we brought electoral bonds.  If the SC finds any shortcomings in it and asks us to rectify it, all parties will sit together and unanimously deliberate on it, emphasised the former BJP president. 

“In the interest of our country and value-based democracy, everyone needs to find a transparent way (of financing parties), Because without funds, parties can’t undertake any activity, ” asserted the minister.  

The Supreme Court, in a landmark judgment last week, annulled the electoral bonds scheme ahead of the April-May Lok Sabha polls.  The top court said the scheme violates the constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression  as well as the right to information. 

Since then, the State Bank of India (SBI) has released different sets of data pertaining to the electoral bonds, containing details about funds received by political parties under the scheme, to the Election Commission.  (Maxim News) 


Next Story :

  • First Innovative Experiment in India -Traffic Marshals

    First Innovative Experiment in India -Traffic Marshals

    India -Traffic Marshals: Cyberabad Police Commissioner Avinash Mahanty, IPS, today organized an induction program after training for traffic control under the jurisdiction of Cyberabad Police Commissionerate in collaboration with the Society for Cyberabad Security Council (SCSC) by increasing traffic. , Cyberabad Joint CP Traffic D . Joel Davies, IPS. , and the program was conducted in the presence of representatives of SCSC, Ramesh Khaja, and Rajesh.


  • NCC Group Hyderabad felicitates 51 Cadets for winning the Inter Group Competition of Thal Sainik Camp

    NCC Group Hyderabad felicitates 51 Cadets for winning the Inter Group Competition of Thal Sainik Camp

    Secunderabad, 12 Jul 2024: NCC Group Hyderabad felicitated 51 cadets who clinched victory at the Inter Group Competition of the Thal Sainik Camp, organized by the Andhra Pradesh & Telangana NCC Directorate. The prestigious event was held at Anantapur (Andhra Pradesh) from 01 to 10 July 2024 wherein all 9 Group Teams of NCC Directorate…


  • Father Sells 18-Day-Old Daughter For Rs. 1 Lakh In Hyderabad 

    Father Sells 18-Day-Old Daughter For Rs. 1 Lakh In Hyderabad 

    Hyderabad, July 12 (Maxim News): Within 24 hours of an 18-day-old girl child being sold was reported. The Bandlaguda police solved the case and arrested three persons including her father on Friday. The child was rescued safely and handed over to her mother. 


  • Setback To Accused In Phone Tapping Case: Court Dismissed Mandatory Bail Petition

    Setback To Accused In Phone Tapping Case: Court Dismissed Mandatory Bail Petition

    Hyderabad, July 12 (Maxim News): The accused in the phone tapping case have faced a setback once again. The court dismissed the mandatory bail petitions filed by the accused in the Nampally Court.  


Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook pageTwitter and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.