HomeIndiaInternet Ban Extended till June 10 Amid Manipur Violence

Internet Ban Extended till June 10 Amid Manipur Violence

Imphal: Amid continuing sporadic incidents of violence, the Manipur government on Monday extended the suspension of Internet services for the seventh time till June 10 to avert the spread of rumors and videos, photos, and messages, which might affect the law and order situation in the ethnic violence-hit northeastern state.

Commissioner, Home, H. Gyan Prakash, in a fresh notification extending the suspension of Internet services till June 10, said that the Director General of Police, Manipur, reported that there are still reports of incidents like arson of houses and premises.

“There is an apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech, and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public, which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation in the state,” the order said.

After the widespread violence broke out on May 3 in 11 of the 16 districts during and after the ‘Tribal Solidarity March’ called by the All Tribal StudentsUnion of Manipur to oppose the demand for inclusion of the Meitei community in the Scheduled Tribe category, the Manipur government suspended the Internet to control the situation.

As people of the strife-torn state have been facing shortages of various essentials, transport fuel, cooking gas, and life-saving drugs, disturbances in banking and online facilities shattered normal life, the Internet suspension for over a month across the mountainous state further added to the miseries of the people.

Travel agencies, internet-based services, online booking, media, students, and the business community are facing lots of problems in the absence of Internet services.

Various organizations, including the Congress, have been demanding immediate restoration of Internet service in Manipur.

Chongtham Victor Singh, an advocate with the Manipur High Court last week, filed a petition in the Supreme Court against the mechanical and repeated shutdown of the Internet in Manipur.

The petition said when the government claimed that the state was returning to normalcy, the same state authority continued to suspend the internet services.

“The suspension of internet services is grossly disproportionate in its interference with the constitutional right to freedom of speech and the right to carry on any business and professional activity using the constitutionally protected medium of the internet,” said the petition, filed through advocate Shadan Farasat.


Next Story:

  • Cyber Fraudsters Posing As ACB Officials Dupe Engineer Of Rs 10 Lakh

    Cyber Fraudsters Posing As ACB Officials Dupe Engineer Of Rs 10 Lakh

    Cyber fraudsters posing as ACB officials allegedly duped a Hyderabad engineer of Rs 10 lakh by threatening surprise raids.


  • F1 Dutch GP: Antonelli Tops Only Practice at Zandvoort

    F1 Dutch GP: Antonelli Tops Only Practice at Zandvoort

    F1 Dutch GP | Hyderabad, August 21: F1 Dutch GP weekend began with Mercedes driver Kimi Antonelli setting the fastest time in Friday’s only practice session at Zandvoort. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp Antonelli clocked 1:12.949 to finish ahead of McLaren’s Lando Norris and Mercedes teammate George Russell. Antonelli edged Norris by 0.121 seconds…


  • Hyderabad Land Prices: Raidurg Plot Sets Rs. 264 Crore Record

    Hyderabad Land Prices: Raidurg Plot Sets Rs. 264 Crore Record

    Hyderabad, August 21: Hyderabad land prices have reached a new high after an acre in Raidurg sold for ₹264 crore. The Telangana Industrial Infrastructure Corporation conducted the latest auction in the city’s IT corridor. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp The record sale took place at Pan Maktha in Raidurg. The plot falls under Survey…


  • Kareena Kapoor Khan Not Pregnant, Team Confirms

    Kareena Kapoor Khan Not Pregnant, Team Confirms

    Hyderabad: Kareena Kapoor Khan is not pregnant, her team has confirmed, putting an end to recent speculation about her expecting a third child with actor Saif Ali Khan. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp Rumours began circulating online after a recent video showed Kareena returning to her car. A member of her team appeared to…


  • Rahul Gandhi Dharna: Delhi Police Registers FIR Over Pellet Injury

    Rahul Gandhi Dharna: Delhi Police Registers FIR Over Pellet Injury

    New Delhi / Hyderabad, August 21: Delhi Police registered an FIR on Friday after student protester Sahil Lochab complained of a pellet gun injury during a July 20 demonstration at Jantar Mantar. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp The development came after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi demanded action on Lochab’s complaint. Rahul Gandhi, the Leader…


Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook page and Twitter and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
germanten flyer 3
previous arrow
next arrow

Most Popular

Recent Comments