HomeIndiaAaley Mohd Iqbal, Delhi’s new deputy mayor, is first Muslim to hold...

Aaley Mohd Iqbal, Delhi’s new deputy mayor, is first Muslim to hold post since 1977

  • Shelly Oberoi Wins MCD Mayoral Polls
  • Aaley Mohd, Delhi’s new deputy mayor, is first Muslim to hold post since 1977

Aaley Mohd Iqbal | New Delhi/Hyderabad, Feb 22: AAP candidate and MLA Shoaib Iqbal’s son Aaley Mohammad Iqbal was elected as the deputy mayor of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi on Wednesday.

He won with 147 votes, while the BJP got 116. Earlier, when he was picked for the race by AAP, the three-time councillor had told The Indian Express he might become the first Muslim to be nominated to the post in many years.

Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia declared that AAP candidate Shelly Oberoi has won the MCD Mayoral Polls.

Aaley Mohd Iqbal

The voting was held at the Civic Centre.

“the goons lost, the public won. Many congratulations to all the workers as AAP candidate has become the Mayor of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi. Once again wholeheartedly grateful to the people of Delhi. Many many congratulations to the first Mayor @Oberoishelly of AAP.” he said in a tweet in Hindi.

Aam Aadmi Party (AAP)’s Shelly Oberoi was elected as the Mayor of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD). She won the election, which was held during the MCD House meeting, with 150 votes, against 116 for BJP’s Rekha Gupta. After the results were declared, Oberoi took over from presiding officer, BJP’s Satya Sharma. AAP’s Aaley Mohammad Iqbal was elected as the Deputy Mayor, after he won with 147 votes, out of the total 266 votes cast. Two votes were declared invalid.

Shelly Oberoi, the newly elected Mayor of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, has alleged that she was attacked by BJP Councillors while conducting the Standing Committee election. “BJP Councillors just tried to attack me while I was conducting the Standing Committee elections, as per Supreme Court orders! This is the extent of BJP’s Gundagardi that they are trying to attack a woman Mayor.”, she tweeted.

Who is Aaley Mohd Iqbal

A young politician, Aaley Muhammed Iqbal (29), was AAP’s Deputy Mayor candidate. He boasts of having the experience of being a three-time councillor in the city. He is the councillor from the Chandini Mahal ward of Delhi. Another feather in Iqbal’s hat is his victory margin, which was the highest, in the recently concluded election.

Aaley Mohd Iqbal, Delhi’s new deputy mayor, is first Muslim to hold post since 1977
Aaley Mohd Iqbal, Delhi’s new deputy mayor, is first Muslim to hold post since 1977

Many political observers had been saying that Iqbal’s candidacy as the Deputy Mayor Municipal Corporation of Delhi was an attempt by the AAP to woo the Muslims votes of the city who had apparently been distancing themselves from the party following the fatal riots in East Delhi in 2020 over the Citizenship Amendment Act.


Next Story:

  • TG Safe Launched To Strengthen Food And Drug Safety In Telangana

    TG Safe Launched To Strengthen Food And Drug Safety In Telangana

    TG Safe strengthens food and drug safety in Telangana by bringing quality checks, regulation and accountability under one system.


  • TIMS Sanath Nagar Hospital Opens In Hyderabad

    TIMS Sanath Nagar Hospital Opens In Hyderabad

    TIMS Sanath Nagar hospital opens in Hyderabad with 1,000 beds, modern facilities and new medical staff after a Rs 1,100 crore investment.


  • ‘Dimagi Naxals’ Applies Only To Supporters Of Maoists And Separatist: Kiren Rijiju

    ‘Dimagi Naxals’ Applies Only To Supporters Of Maoists And Separatist: Kiren Rijiju

    ‘Dimagi Naxals’ | Delhi/Hyderabad, Aug 17 (Maxim News): Union Minister Kiren Rijiju clarified that Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not call opposition leaders as Maoist-minded people. He gave clarity to the criticisms of Congress leader P Chidambaram and others. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp In a post on ‘X’ platform, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju…


  • Kalyanalaxmi And Shaadi Mubarak Will Continue: Ponnam Prabhakar

    Kalyanalaxmi And Shaadi Mubarak Will Continue: Ponnam Prabhakar

    Hyderabad, Aug 17 (Maxim News): Ministers Ponnam Prabhakar and Vakiti Srihari made it clear that they will continue Kalyanalakshmi and Shaadi Mubarak as is and are trying to implement them again after lifting the stay in the High Court. Here To Join Us On WhatsApp They were furious thatg the BRS leaders were doing politics…


  • We Have Grounded That Terror Network: Amit Shah

    We Have Grounded That Terror Network: Amit Shah

    Internet/Hyderabad, Aug 17 (Maxim News): Union Home Minister Amit Shah announced that the ISI-backed terrorist group Shahzad Bhatti Network has been dismantled. He revealed on ‘X’ that more than 200 members of the group have been arrested. He said that its plans for destructive attacks have been foiled. He said that this is an example…


Now you can get the latest stories from Indtoday on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.  Click to follow Indtoday’s Facebook page and Twitter and Instagram. For all the latest Hyderabad News updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
germanten flyer 3
previous arrow
next arrow

Most Popular

Recent Comments